vendredi 17 mai 2013

Writing an Interesting List

Lists are fun and easy to write but there is a big difference between a grocery list and a list that shines a little insight into the person you are, the things you believe and what really matters to you. When you are writing a list as a literary genre, it is important to keep your audience in mind. You are informing your reader about something that they may or may not know about. If the reader does not know you or knows very little about you, they will need enough information from your list to understand the importance of your category.

Blurbs are an excellent way of making an otherwise boring list into something of a worthwhile read. For example: You are writing a list of your favourite colours. No offense, but most people don't really care what colours you like. If you add a reason or a description, however, then it can become a much more creative bit of reading.

My Favourite Colours

Red
Yellow
White
Green

This list can be made much more interesting with a bit of decription... in fact, even the title is more interesting...

The Colours that Inspire Me 

Red - It is bold and it stands out and demands to be noticed. What's not to love?

Yellow - The golden rays seep through my window and wake me by tickling my nose in the morning.

White - It is the colour of the handkerchief that my grandmother crocheted for me before she passed.

Green - My constant reminder that we are constantly in a state of growth.

Now this list may not be interesting to everyone, but there is a certain poetic quality that gives it more value than a list of random colours for no apparent reason.

The other interesting thing about lists is that they can have such an assortment of topics. You can make a list about absolutely anything that interests you. Some examples I have seen in my students' work in the past (but this is still a limited list - feel free to create your own) is included below:

The Top Ten Superpowers I Would Most Like to Have

The Dozen People I Would Love to Have Over for Dinner (Remember that a creative list does not limit you to people you already know. Imagine having dinner with Hitler so you could finally ask him what the heck he could possibly have been thinking to do what he did...)

The Five People I Would Like to Be For One Day (Your choices say a lot about you. I have seen rich and famous people on this list, but I have also seen a homeless person. Imagine what that might be like.)

The Eight Best TV Series of All Time

A Bucket List

Finally, remember that anyone can make a list, but when you add a personal touch to it, it becomes yours and yours alone. It can define you in some ways.


0 commentaires: