vendredi 24 mai 2013

Parallel Stanzas

Parallel stanzas are poems that look at things from more than one angle. It can be a he said / she said type of thing or a then and now example. There are also poems that give an if - then example. I have included a few samples below. I am anxious to see what kinds of comparisons you will make in your own parallel stanza poems.

I Once Knew a Girl

I once knew a girl who


ran through the fields barefoot,

played tag on weekends,
and woke with the sun at six.
She loved school
and never brushed her hair.
She slept with Teddy
and went to bed with the night light on.

Now

she paints her toenails green,
reads upstairs on weekends, 
and dozes till eleven.
She finds school a bore
and spends hours in the bathroom.
Teddy is under her bed, 
and she sleeps in darkness.

That girl is gone.


(Nora Bradford from Nancie Atwell's Naming the World)


Mom

I remember last year - 
that whole week I was in a bad mood.
The only words I said were yes and no.
I believed the world was against me.
You offered to buy me
a chocolate milk and a whoopie pie.
But since I was supposed to hate you,
I said no - 
or maybe I didn't even answer.
Either way,
while I sulked in the van
listening to the music you hate, 
you stood in the checkout
and spent $2.49 on snacks
I didn't want.
I know you did it because you love me,
and I knew you wouldn't like it
if I didn't eat them,
but I only took one sip.

And I remember last Tuesday - 
this whole month I was in a good mood.
All I wanted to do was talk,
and I thought the world believed in me.
You offered to buy me a treat,
and since it's so easy to love you,
I said yes.
You wanted to stay in the car
and listen to the news I hate, 
but I convinced you to come in.
You spent $1.40 on the whoopie pie 
I wanted.
I know you did it because you love me,
and I knew you would like it 
if I ate it,
so I gave you one bite
and devoured the rest.

(Nora Bradford - from Nancie Atwell's Naming the World)

Decisions

I'm playing at a concert
A record company offers me a contract
I accept
Begin living life
As a rock star
I make millions
Own a mansion
The world loves me
I love life
I love my job
Then:
I get introduced to drugs
My life drains from me
I put the gun to my head
Pull the trigger
And die
Horribly

I'm playing at a rock concert
A record company offers me a contract
I decline
Decide to live a normal life
As a business man
I pay the bills
Own an apartment
I have a wife and two kids
I love my family
I enjoy life
Then:
I have grandkids
I'm a great father
I've had a great life
My family comforts me around my bed
As I die
Happily

(Travis Arnal)

0 commentaires: