vendredi 1 mars 2013

To This Day - Response

What an inspirational video. I still can't believe the silence that followed in the classroom. On a couple occasions during this spoken-word poem, the author mentions the "Sticks and Stones" riddle. It's very true what they say about the fact that it is completely wrong! It's simply not true that names won't hurt you. In fact, they continue to hurt you long after the bruises would have healed. This explains the title "To This Day" which shows how long that kind of cruelty can last.

The second reference he makes that seems ludicrous now is the statement, "Kids can be cruel". Yes they can, but I maintain that this cruelty is learned. And that saying it doesn't make it ok. What I wonder is where kids learn to be this way. In some homes, this is the norm. Parents will toughen kids up by exposing them to this kind of banter. When they get to school, they honestly don't understand how hurtful it can be to a child who may not have been exposed to this. And let's face it, it doesn't really hurt less if they have been exposed to it either.

The expression that comes to mind is the one about fighting a losing battle. I wish it would change, I would love to be a part of the solutiuon, but when I look at all the initiatives of the past, I wonder if it is possible to weed the meanness out of people who don't seem to feel anything for others. I guess, we must simply not lose hope.




0 commentaires: